Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Growing pains.


I must admit I'm having a bit of a pity party at the moment. Just when I think I could maybe {maybe} pull off this photography thing...I stumble on someone else's work and instead of being inspired, it makes me feel small. That terrible, no-good, critical voice creeps into my head and I hear myself say things like, "What am I doing? I can't consistently get a crisp shot on my camera! He/she is a brilliant photographer...Argh, I have so much to learn!...." and the list of negativity continues.
~
I know, I know. I shouldn't compare my work to others. I should look at my own progress. Is my work evolving? Is it improving from where I was before. If the answer is yes, then that's all that matters. I'm exactly where I need to be, right? But the truth is I'm terribly frustrated at the moment. Where I want to be seems painfully unattainable. Will I ever get there? How? When?
~
The following images are from today. My dear friend Kori and her son Max came for a long-overdue lunch. As I look at the pictures I smile at Max's expressions. He grinned and giggled, he frowned and even fussed. At those moments and these, I remember that little people (just like big people) experience joy in the little victories as well as frustration with setbacks. We are each a work in progress. And I suppose if there's progress...it has to be good.

My dear Max, here's to baby steps.
Thank you for reminding me that we all have to start somewhere.

1 comment:

  1. Susan, Such a fun day we had, didn't we??!
    Thanks for this touching post above and thanks for being such a true blue friend! Love ya....

    ReplyDelete

Followers